Bye Bye Greek Yogurt ~ You will be Missed :(

greekyogurt1
Bye Bye Greek Yogurt

Well it’s official. I have a lactose intolerance and I’m not happy about it. After a few weeks of feeling great and being steady on a strict gf diet, I decided to buy 1 container of Greek yogurt and try it out tonight.

After my urgent run to the restroom a few minutes ago, I can confidently say I will no longer purchase any regular yogurt or greek yogurt. I’ve already been buying and using organic lactose free milk but I’m really bummed. Greek yogurt has always been my go to snack. Filled with protein it’s the perfect choice with berries!

Kefir
Kefir

Interestingly enough, I’ve been drinking these Kefir probiotic smoothies with my vitamins throughout the day and it not only helps me get them down without gagging but tastes pretty good.

An RD once told me that the probiotics cancel out the lactose thus allowing our bodies to process the yogurt. I consume probably a 1/2-1 cup throughout the day and don’t have any problems. I actually really enjoy them – they are thick and help tremendously with supplements.

Part of the reason I love Greek Yogurt is the convenience and ability to grab one and eat it quickly – along with feeling satiated after that 1 container. If I ran into the grocery, I could grab one on the way out and eat it right then and there! Or if I needed something quick in between a personal training client – my dear friend Greek Yogurt was always there to fill me up and fuel me for my next client.

But that’s ok. I can still eat cheese with no problem! I will find other things to enjoy for sure. I’m going to wait a couple days and then try cottage cheese to see if I have to rule that out as well. What’s better than a fresh peach cut up in a cup of cottage cheese?

According to the Kefir website,

How can kefir help?
Kefir is the most favorable milk product for people suffering from lactose intolerance. A recent study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association examined people struggling with lactose intolerance and found that kefir can actually improve lactose digestion. The reasoning? Kefir’s live, active bacteria cultures help break down the sugars in milk.

Comments

1.  Judi says:

LOVE kefir! I should definitely try it with the supplements. Water just doesn’t always cut it. Sorry to hear Greek Yogurt and you will be breaking up . Glad you and cheese are still going steady

2.  Plipe says:

yes I found out the hard way greek yogurt is the devil! so tempting yet soooo bad for our tummies

3.  martine says:

Coconut yogurt is pretty good. And sheep yogurt is great with such a low lactose content it may not bother you. To achieve the greek yogurt texture put cheese cloth in a strainer, fill with your yogurt and refrigerate overnight. It reduces the liquid content and gives it a creamy greek texture – great to make tzatziki with too.

4.  Donette Dowell says:

Hi ……..I was wondering have you ever heard of NAET…….it is an allergy elimination technique that is getting amazing results for people..I am hopeful because I have alot of food and vitamin and minerals allergies at the present time. Google it and tell me what you think. I just started the program…..alot of chiropractors learn the techniques. ~D~

5.  rouquinexx says:

I read somewhere that many celiac person are lactose intolerant, but by being on a GF diet may help them to regain that tolerance. Kefir is actualy a very good way to get a better digestive health with or without celiac disease. I have some fresh at home from a original mixture. Reproducing again and again. Yummy !

6.  Jen says:

Fake rice pudding: cottage cheese, cinnamon, stevia and raisins.

7.  celiacandallergyadventures says:

I was worried after going gluten-free that I would find out I also have a problem with lactose. Thankfully, I haven’t noticed any issues because like you, Greek yogurt is my go-to snack!

I have heard that after being on a gluten-free diet for 3-6 months though, that people who originally had lactose intolerance are now able to tolerate it. I’m not sure how long you’ve been gluten-free but something to think about/hope for, anyway!

8.  Judy says:

I had a bad reaction to a store brand greek yogurt a couple of weeks ago (i.e. forceful vomiting). Have not been able to try it again since; similar to a reaction to a food that you ate right before the virus kicked in. Wondering now if I am lactose intolerant as well. I will try the Kefir probiotic. Thanks for you sharing…really;o)

9.  Amanda Y says:

After being gluten free (I’m quite sure it’s full celiac, but as went the nontraditional medicine route, unfortunately for taxes, I can’t officially say that), I realized last month I’m also lactose intolerant :-(. It’s so hard to work around cream sauces, thank goodness I can still do cheese. I have been still having yogurt and butter without too much problem–but cream, cream cheese, ice cream, milk are all out! Looking forward to more info and recipes on your blog now!

10.  Cher Stewart says:

Liberté makes a lactose-free Greek Yogurt, Yoplait makes lactose-free yogurt, there’s Green Valley Lactose-Free products (they make a sour cream, too!) and that’s how I deal with my intolerance. ^_^
    Cher Stewart recently posted…Imperative Details Concerning The Planet Of Internet Hosting