Bison Gluten-Free Chili
1lb Bison stew meat or Bison steaks (cut into bite size pieces)
1 Green Pepper
3 Stalks of celery
1 Can of tomato sauce
1 Can of roasted tomatoes
1 Can of kidney beans
1 Can of cannellini beans
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon garlic salt
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
Lactose free or regular sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese
**All brands of ingredients should be checked to ensure they are indeed gluten-free**
1. Cut the bison into small bite size pieces and put in a skillet or frying pan to brown to desired temperature. Medium is good for this because they will cook more in the chili while it’s on the stove.
2. Get out a large soup pot or slow cooker to put the rest of the ingredients.
3. Cut the green pepper and celery into bite size pieces.
4. After browning the bison and cutting the veggies, place everything together in the soup pot or slow cooker. I don’t drain the beans because it makes the chili less thick. Stir everything together and turn on a med/low heat. Let simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.
5. I love to top my bowl of chili with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. I found a great brand of lactose free sour cream that I really love.
Of course feel free to add some spice, I like things pretty mild due to heartburn with spicy foods! I started out with adding some tomato paste but it made the chili a little too thick for my liking. I would skip it in your version if you like the sauce thinner.