Are Gluten-Free Foods Making You Fat?
Yes. Yes, they are.
This weekend the Celiac Awareness Tour cancelled the day before the event, leaving me with a prepaid hotel room in Philly for the weekend.
Aaron and I decided to go to the city anyway and use it as a little getaway for us. Jennifer Fugo from Gluten Free School and I decided to meet up anyway since we weren’t speaking at the event anymore.
She told me about the cool things she does over at her website and all the research she’s done on sugar and gluten-free, which really got me thinking….
While it’s wonderful that companies are coming out with more gluten-free options and versions of foods we used to love, we still don’t need them. Gluten-free snack foods are usually higher in calories and fat along with lower in fiber. They are the ultimate empty calorie. Most of the products labeled gluten-free are equally as bad for us as those products we loved filled with gluten.
As a fitness expert, I see this every day. Clients come to me wanting to know why they aren’t seeing results despite cutting calories and then go on to tell me they substitute regular junk food with low-calorie junk food. Snacks from Weight Watchers and Skinny Cow always seem to pop into the conversation. These products provide no nutritional value for your body. “Weight loss” snacks are FILLED with chemicals and processed junk which does nothing nutritionally for you, despite the marketing claims on their boxes.
Once you’re diagnosed with celiac disease, it is a tremendous life change. You struggle enough with just figuring it out along with all the emotional turmoil from the disease and health complications. You just want life to be easy. The problem is that easy in this area makes you gain weight. All those “easy” gluten-free foods are horrible for our waist line. Pancakes are bad for you filled with gluten and gluten-free. Just because it doesn’t make our auto-immune system go insane, it still isn’t the best option for us. Those products can be just as difficult to digest and cause other problems like inflammation aggravation.
Aren’t you sick of the high prices of this junk anyway? Don’t you want to eat for fuel and for happiness than instant gratification?
I’m getting ready to put together some awesome celiac fitness programming but please know we are going back to the basics on it!
Foods filled with nutrition should be priority for us, especially as we are trying to heal our bodies. Think about using the 80/20 rule for this. 80% of the time, eat foods that are nutritionally sound and make your body happy. Use the other 20% to indulge on something worth while like a great piece of gluten-free cake, a sundae, wine or whatever is your guilty pleasure. I recommend this to all my fitness clients at Bexa Body Fitness. That is how I lost my weight before and how I’ve started to do it again.
Twenty pounds later, I realized I consumed entirely too many snack foods throughout the week. I did a much better job tracking my food throughout the week and paying attention to when I had snack/junk foods. This helped me see eating patterns as well. One of my favorite tracking apps is My Net Diary. I use it on my iPhone to track my foods and fitness. There are a million apps out there, but I just found this one to work. I believe in moderation and enjoying your life. I’m don’t believe in fad diets or extreme weight loss programs. If you can’t have some things every once in a while, you are less likely to be successful.
If you try this and still aren’t losing weight – A few things could be happening –
1. Your hormones are off.
2. You’re not managing your vitamin deficiencies properly. (Supplements too expensive? Find an online vendor with bulk discount prices like Powdercity.com)
3. You aren’t writing down everything you eat and tracking it correctly.
4. You may have other health complications.
You are probably saying to yourself right now, so what the heck am I supposed to eat?
Well, instead of having lentil chips right now, I’m munching on some carrots. I hard boil eggs and consume them throughout the day. Nuts are a terrific snacking item. We try our best to stick with whole foods for dinner.
Here’s an example of what we eat for dinner throughout the week:
Monday: Salmon, green beans & red skin potatoes
Tuesday: Burrito bowls – rice, beans, ground beef, lettuce, avocado, peppers
Wednesday: Shrimp with rice – add veggies and use some gluten-free soy sauce in moderation
Thursday: Brisket with veggies from the slow cooker
Friday: Steak, spinach and sweet potato fries
Everything is very basic but tasty!
What’s your go to whole food meal?